How True Is Google Translate Spoken Russian?

Don't be shy and say привет!
abrogard
New user
New user
Mother tongue: english

How True Is Google Translate Spoken Russian?

Postby abrogard » Aug 16th, 18, 07:17

I have been listening to some CD's of 'Michel Thomas' Russian course - a pretty old course I think.

It's fine but checking the words they spoke on Google translate to see how they're spelled I found a very different pronunciation sometimes.

Is that because Google translate gets it wrong? Or what?

Mashenka
Master user
Master user
Mother tongue: English

Re: How True Is Google Translate Spoken Russian?

Postby Mashenka » Dec 11th, 18, 10:01

Google Translate is like rolling dice. Sometimes the translation is spot on, sometimes it can be very weird. Russian pronunciation can vary from region to region. From what I understand, the pronunciation that is used in Russian media is the Moscow dialect. It will sound different than the way Russian was spoken a few decades ago. So your course may be from a different region, or as you said, it is an old course and the pronunciation is different than today. As far as the pronunciation on Google Translate, it sounds like the Moscow dialect to me. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Bluesd
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue: Italian

Re: How True Is Google Translate Spoken Russian?

Postby Bluesd » Nov 8th, 19, 12:48

I think that Google Translate's algorithms are becoming better each year and you shouldn't be afraid to use it, but it's always better to check each word separately - this way it'll work as a simple dictionary; it's hard to make a mistake if you know the meaning of each word.

Return to “Your first post to say hello”