МКАД

Traditions, cuisine, history, politics, tourism,...
Mashenka
Master user
Master user
Mother tongue: English

МКАД

Postby Mashenka » Dec 29th, 18, 09:22

What does the acronym МКАД? Is it the name of a highway and where is it located?

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user
Mother tongue: Russian

Re: МКАД

Postby Jeremy Katz » Jan 18th, 19, 14:55

"Московская Кольцевая Автомобильная Дорога", "Moscow Ring-line Automobile Road". A huge roundabout that for some paints the border of Moscow and "that other Russia", "заМКАДье" (literally, "the land beyond MKAD").
One too many advertisements on this site already. None here for a change.

Mashenka
Master user
Master user

Postby Mashenka » Jan 21st, 19, 13:47

Thanks. We have the 202 in Phoenix that sort of does that.

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user

Postby Jeremy Katz » Jan 22nd, 19, 12:24

Mashenka wrote:Thanks. We have the 202 in Phoenix that sort of does that.

By the looks of it, it's more like I-485 in Indianopolis, Indiana (?), as it sorta gives a border between a city and the suburban area. On a scale of Moscow, as well.
202 in Phoenix can't exactly apply because it only encircles a single district, by the looks of it. Comparably, it would make 202 plus 101, if we're talking Phoenix now. I might be wrong.

Mashenka
Master user
Master user

Postby Mashenka » Jan 23rd, 19, 02:58

No, you're right it is both of them together. They encircle most of the metro, but because of urban sprawl , there us some metro outside the 101 and 202.

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user

Postby Jeremy Katz » Jan 23rd, 19, 18:00

Mashenka wrote:No, you're right it is both of them together. They encircle most of the metro, but because of urban sprawl , there us some metro outside the 101 and 202.

Basically, just like in Moscow. It used to mark a city limits half a century back, but now it's just a highway with a historical significance

Mashenka
Master user
Master user

Postby Mashenka » Jan 26th, 19, 07:16

Actually after looking at a map, there are several highways that make an almost circle around the Phoenix metro. Never having looked at a map before, I never thought about it. I just got on whichever highway to get me where I needed to go. After having driven through many parts of the USA, the roads in Phoenix are the most fun to drive because they are kept in good repair, the curves are banked and it seems the lanes are a little wider. People here drive really crazy. I see at least one wreck every day. How is driving on the МКАД? Or in Moscow?

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user

Postby Jeremy Katz » Jan 26th, 19, 15:20

Mashenka wrote:Actually after looking at a map, there are several highways that make an almost circle around the Phoenix metro. Never having looked at a map before, I never thought about it. I just got on whichever highway to get me where I needed to go. After having driven through many parts of the USA, the roads in Phoenix are the most fun to drive because they are kept in good repair, the curves are banked and it seems the lanes are a little wider. People here drive really crazy. I see at least one wreck every day. How is driving on the МКАД? Or in Moscow?

It's a highway, so people drive there pretty fast, and it's a far more populated city, so there are lots of jams here and there. It actually applies to Moscow in a nutshell - jams all around.
If not exactly wreck, people usually just "rub" one another, y'know. Mere scratches, major accidents don't happen too often.

Mashenka
Master user
Master user

Postby Mashenka » Feb 1st, 19, 10:25

Minor mishaps are called a fender bender. They are also called dents, dings or scuffs. I see at least one major wreck daily, usually more. The most dramatic I've seen is a semi truck on fire. I could actually feel the heat in my car, several lanes away. There are more jams during the winter, tourist season. But the wrecks are all year round.The only worse cities to drive for me were Los Angeles and San Francisco in California. They drive faster and crazier than here. Less wrecks though. Better skill maybe?

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user

Postby Jeremy Katz » Feb 5th, 19, 00:04

Mashenka wrote:Minor mishaps are called a fender bender. They are also called dents, dings or scuffs. I see at least one major wreck daily, usually more. The most dramatic I've seen is a semi truck on fire. I could actually feel the heat in my car, several lanes away. There are more jams during the winter, tourist season. But the wrecks are all year round.The only worse cities to drive for me were Los Angeles and San Francisco in California. They drive faster and crazier than here. Less wrecks though. Better skill maybe?

Like you said, most accidents do indeed happen out of cities. And in winter. Y'know, icy roads, ice between the ears, here and there like everywhere else. And it mostly ends badly, for one or many vehicles and/or, God forbid, people. Shit happens.
As for jams, it jams in any season, but mostly in cities, as there are more cars. And people switch lanes quite recklessly somethimes, which is mostly why "fender benders" happen around here. Like, you won't see many jams in the middle of nowhere around 19 times out of 20. But you may see a wreck on the sidelane or a tree-hugger, if not much worse.
Outside of cities there are longer stretches with fewer patrols, that's why people give it a full throttle. At least, that's the local excuse.

Return to “Russian culture”