Site for learning Russian vocabulary

How do you say in Russian...? What does this Russian word mean? *Please, check a dictionary before posting here
rvb2016
New user
New user
Mother tongue:

Site for learning Russian vocabulary

Postby rvb2016 » Jan 8th, 16, 10:06

I am currently learning Russian and JavaScript, so I thought I would create a website for learning Russian vocabulary using JavaScript. The site is russianvocabularybuilder.com. The site presents you with a Russian word and you have to provide the English translation, or you can have it present a word in English and ask you to enter the Russian translation. Since words have multiple meanings you only have to enter one of the meanings to get the question right. When translating from English to Russian your keyboard is transformed to a Russian Cyrillic keyboard, so that when you type what you type shows up in Cyrillic. You can choose how many words to train on, up to 5000 words. The more you get a word wrong the more often the word will be presented to you. I hope that this does not come off as spam. This is totally free. I am not advertising on this site and I am not accepting donations. I would appreciate feedback, but I made this site while on vacation and now that I am back to work I don't have much time to improve the site.

daly
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue: Turkish

Re: Site for learning Russian vocabulary

Postby daly » Jan 16th, 16, 01:14

Thank you very much indeed, your page is very usefull for the beginners like me.
You have mentioned that you'd no time anymore to improve but I hope you have a little more time again.
Thanks a lot...

rvb2016
New user
New user
Mother tongue:

Postby rvb2016 » Jan 16th, 16, 04:40

Thanks. I am glad to hear that someone is making use of the site. I do hope to improve it at some point. I hope to make it so that people can save their progress. Some of the translations seem a bit odd. I used a script to get the dictionary from a free online site, and did no manual editing. I hope to get a better source for the translations, or fix some of them manually. I also want to increase the number of words from 5,000 to 100,000 or so. I actually wanted to make a site were people could learn any language regardless of their native language. Eg a Swahili speaker could learn Tagalog, but I settled on just Russian for now. These are not easy improvements for me at the moment, but I am open to suggestions, and I can make minor improvements now and major improvements later.

rvb2016
New user
New user
Mother tongue:

Postby rvb2016 » Jan 20th, 16, 08:36

I improved the translations. I found a mistake in my script for getting the translations. For some words it was only getting idioms instead of the most common usage. So before it translated "никогда" as at "at the Greek calends", now it translates it as "never". I also did a little bit of manual editing. It still needs to be improved.

Return to “Russian vocabulary”