Varyag, the amazing Russian warship

Traditions, cuisine, history, politics, tourism,...
RedKalinka
Expert user
Expert user
Mother tongue:

Varyag, the amazing Russian warship

Postby RedKalinka » Jul 14th, 14, 20:33

The life of the Varyag could make a great movie script. Read about this in our blog

What other examples of ship, plane, or Russian weapon do you know whose life could make another good movie script?

Hemmetellah

Re: Varyag, the amazing Russian warship TOPIC OF THE WEEK

Postby Hemmetellah » Jul 15th, 14, 02:37

Hello, acording to the topic , actually i don't know about something similar in my country (Chile) but there is something related to ships : ''El combate naval de Iquique'' , for instance, that was about a facing between 2 battleships : The Chilean battleship "La Esmeralda", which was defeated by the Peruvian one : Huascar . I hope to get the book :D , i really enjoy learning russian language and i 'm trying to answer just for learn russian in that book . It was very interesting learning about the Varyag , really :D . Good bye.

Victorvcp
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue:

Postby Victorvcp » Jul 15th, 14, 03:25

For me the Russian weapon that should have a movie script is the Russian Kalinin K-7. It was a heavy experimental aircraft designed and tested in the Soviet Union in the early 1930s. The K-7 was built in two years at Kharkiv starting in 1931. Its construction was an epopee, because required special material, like chrome-molybdenum steel imported from Sweden, and the most important the engines. It had an unusual arrangement of six tractor engines on the wing leading edge and a single in pusher configuration at the rear. This plane was designed for military use, and to make long travel through the world. Was the most audacious project, the proportions were huge for its time - 53 m wingspan, with about 452 square meters of surface. Only one was built, but it was enough to stir the imagination of many enthusiasts. This plane did not take part in a battle or war, but it showed the capacity of Russian scientist and designers to develop powerful and awesome weapons.

Victorvcp
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue:

Postby Victorvcp » Jul 15th, 14, 15:23

Another ship that could have a movie script is the Russian cruiser Aurora, launched on 11 May 1900, took part in important conflicts and events through the earlier Russian history. It was one of three Pallada class cruisers, built in Admiralty Shipyard, in St. Petersburg for service in the Pacific. First it took part on Russo-Japanese War, on the Battle of Tsushima, but the most important involvement was during the October Revolution.
During the First World War, when Aurora was moved to St. Petersburg for repairs, was created a Revolutionary Committee inside the ship with a great number of Bolsheviks who prepared a Communist Revolution. On October 1917 the cruiser shot a gun, signing the beginning of the October Revolution, with the assault of the Winter Palace.
During the Second World War on the Siege of Leningrad, the guns were taken down and used on the defenses of Leningrad.
The ship was restored and now is exposed as a free museum and training ship for cadets from Nakhimov Navy School.

Return to “Russian culture”