How would you say ''Tequila talks are your sober thoughts'' in Russian

How do you say in Russian...? What does this Russian word mean? *Please, check a dictionary before posting here
Skerson
New user
New user
Mother tongue: Korean

How would you say ''Tequila talks are your sober thoughts'' in Russian

Postby Skerson » Jan 19th, 19, 13:21

I found this one lyric I really liked and I'd love to translate it into Russian, but considering I can only read Russian letters yet I couldn't do it. Anyone out here willing to help? :D

Mashenka
Master user
Master user
Mother tongue: English

Re: How would you say ''Tequila talks are your sober thoughts'' in Russian

Postby Mashenka » Jan 22nd, 19, 02:04

I'll take a shot at this (pun intended.) I'm going to assume that, "talks," is a plural noun meaning, like tequila conversations. So, "Текила переговоры - трезвые мысли."

Another way is to think of talks as a verb and tequila is doing the talking. In that case, "Текила говорит ваши трезвые мысли."

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user
Mother tongue: Russian

Postby Jeremy Katz » Jan 30th, 19, 23:09

Mashenka wrote:I'll take a shot at this (pun intended.) I'm going to assume that, "talks," is a plural noun meaning, like tequila conversations. So, "Текила переговоры - трезвые мысли."

Another way is to think of talks as a verb and tequila is doing the talking. In that case, "Текила говорит ваши трезвые мысли."

Come to think of it, there's a proverb. "Что у трезвого на уме, то у пьяного на языке" - "What's the sober one has on his mind, the drunk one has on his tongue". Not exactly tied with tequila, but that's the closest there is.
One too many advertisements on this site already. None here for a change.

Mashenka
Master user
Master user

Postby Mashenka » Feb 1st, 19, 10:16

That is great! I'm sure someone could get the word 'tequila' in it with some rearranging. There's one in English you may have heard of. "It's the alcohol talking." Doesn't mean the inebriated person is saying their sober thoughts. It usually means that the person is saying something uncharacteristic of the sober person other people know. Like they are suddenly unusually generous, or unusually mean.

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user

Postby Jeremy Katz » Feb 4th, 19, 23:52

Mashenka wrote:That is great! I'm sure someone could get the word 'tequila' in it with some rearranging. There's one in English you may have heard of. "It's the alcohol talking." Doesn't mean the inebriated person is saying their sober thoughts. It usually means that the person is saying something uncharacteristic of the sober person other people know. Like they are suddenly unusually generous, or unusually mean.

That's much closer, actually.

As a matter of fact, you can say "Это в нём/ней водка (или другой спиртной напиток) говорит". It would still make sense, but isn't used commonly. So, if you wanna make sure you sound natural, use the first phrase I gave in the previous post.

Mashenka
Master user
Master user

Postby Mashenka » Feb 5th, 19, 11:41

Мне нравится первая пословица. Другие тоже хороши. Можно как-то использовать слово 'текила' в первой?

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user

Postby Jeremy Katz » Feb 5th, 19, 22:07

Mashenka wrote:Мне нравится первая пословица. Другие тоже хороши. Можно как-то использовать слово 'текила' в первой?

Конечно, просто заменить и всё.

Return to “Russian vocabulary”