дал понять=made it clear? How come!?

How do you say in Russian...? What does this Russian word mean? *Please, check a dictionary before posting here
ScottChang
Senior user
Senior user
Mother tongue: Engkish

дал понять=made it clear? How come!?

Postby ScottChang » May 10th, 17, 21:29

Hi all,
From Google Translate, I got the following translation:
Мун Чжэ Ин дал понять, что готов посетить Северную Корею = Mun Zhe Ying made it clear that he is ready to visit North Korea
I am not able to figure out the Russian word "дал" and its grammar used with "понять" to mean "made it clear" in English. I know
the Russian word "понять" = "to understand" in English. But I don't know how come the Russian word "дал" is combined with "понять"
to mean "made it clear" in English!! Please help, explain/comment on "дал понять=made it clear", and respond.
Thanks in advance,
Scott Chang

Jeremy Katz
Master user
Master user
Mother tongue: Russian

Re: дал понять=made it clear? How come!?

Postby Jeremy Katz » May 12th, 17, 20:18

First off, GT's right. Surprisingly.

Let's get to the literal sense of that phrase to make it clear for you. Дать - to give, понять - to understand. Combining these two verbs would sound like "to give (to let) to understand". There's no such phrase in English, instead you use "to make it clear".

Actually, there are many such like occurrences in Russian, when two verbs are combined. Most of them have equivalents in English without the actual use of two verbs in a row. Approach to these with caution.

Also, Scott. PM me to Skype for faster help in your learning.
One too many advertisements on this site already. None here for a change.

ScottChang
Senior user
Senior user
Mother tongue: Engkish

Postby ScottChang » May 15th, 17, 22:23

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for your nice response. It is new to me in knowing this unique Russian expression!
I have no Skype to communicate with you. Please help me in learning the unique Russian expressions and grammar in this Forum.
Thanks again,
Scott Chang

Anastasiia_85
New user
New user
Mother tongue: Russian

Postby Anastasiia_85 » Nov 19th, 17, 17:16

ScottChang wrote:Hi all,
From Google Translate, I got the following translation:
Мун Чжэ Ин дал понять, что готов посетить Северную Корею = Mun Zhe Ying made it clear that he is ready to visit North Korea
I am not able to figure out the Russian word "дал" and its grammar used with "понять" to mean "made it clear" in English. I know
the Russian word "понять" = "to understand" in English. But I don't know how come the Russian word "дал" is combined with "понять"
to mean "made it clear" in English!! Please help, explain/comment on "дал понять=made it clear", and respond.
Thanks in advance,
Scott Chang

Hello, dear! It is the sentence, where absent the word "возможность". It is very often used by Russian. "Мун Чжэ Ин дал /возможность to smb/ понять". Mun Zhe Ying gave /somebody an opportunity/ to understand that he is ready to visit North Korea. Mun Zhe Ying gave /a chance to somebody/ to understand that he is ready to visit North Korea. If you say "дал понять" or "дал возможность понять" it is quite the same. So, in that way somebody have understood, that Mun Zhe Ying is ready to go to Northern Korea

Return to “Russian vocabulary”