Slavic languages

Traditions, cuisine, history, politics, tourism,...
Leam_nor
Senior user
Senior user
Mother tongue: English

Slavic languages

Postby Leam_nor » Jul 27th, 15, 16:19

Hello,

As a Russian learner I got curious to know what other languages could I learn in the future based on my knowledge of Russian. What Slavic languages are the closest to Russian? Do Russian people understand the Ukranian language easily? Is the cyrillic alphabet the same for all the Slavic languages?

Thanks for your help!

Alika
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue: Russian

Re: Slavic languages

Postby Alika » Aug 28th, 15, 00:20

Hello, I guess Ukrainian is the best option for you.. My native is Russian and well you know, I would like to learn Ukrainian too. So yeah, it's not like I can understand it without special learning.
Russian people are able to catch couple of words in an Ukrainian speech though, but it's like.. Like Italian and Spanish - similar cause they
occasionally have the same origin, but still different and requiring special learning (sorry, not sure if I use some phrases in English correctly).
By the way, I personally do find Ukrainian language the most beautiful (talking about pronunciation) of all the Slavic ones.
There is also Belarusian as a reasonable option for you.

As for alphabet, there's like a couple of letters in both Ukrainian and Belarusian languages which are foreign for Russian alphabet (and for Latin too) but I don't think it's gonna be a big deal or something..

Leam_nor
Senior user
Senior user
Mother tongue: English

Re: Slavic languages

Postby Leam_nor » Aug 31st, 15, 15:48

two great answers in a row :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Russian culture”