I need help making pirozhki

Traditions, cuisine, history, politics, tourism,...
Sharik
New user
New user
Mother tongue:

Postby Sharik » Mar 29th, 14, 01:07

A friend of mine from Russia made me pirozhki years ago. I loved them. Now, I want to try making pirozhki myself. I have a basic recipe for the dough. I need to decide with what to stuff the pirozhki. Any suggestions? What is your favorite?

Also, do pirozhki differ across the different regions of Russia. Is method of making them the same or does it vary? Are they baked in some regions and fried in others?

LoveMyRussia
Expert user
Expert user
Mother tongue: Russian

Re: I need help making pirozhki

Postby LoveMyRussia » Apr 10th, 15, 17:29

Hi, Sharik,

if it's still actual to you, I'd say that my favourite stuff is cabbage (preliminary simmered on a fry pan).
Another popular stuffs are:
apple
rice+boiled eggs+ green onion
potatoe
mushrooms
liver
meat

I don't know if there's any difference across regions, but I can tell you that my mother always bakes them, while our neighbour fries them.

mmmmmmmm love pirozhki

Lerakroxa
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue:

Postby Lerakroxa » Feb 28th, 16, 20:30

h?mm.. often she says vi gavari and refrain is na nana nana na na na I can say just these:
Люблю спорт и здоровый образ жизни!

Barfi
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue: Russian

Postby Barfi » Aug 9th, 17, 20:06

Sharik wrote:A friend of mine from Russia made me pirozhki years ago. I loved them. Now, I want to try making pirozhki myself. I have a basic recipe for the dough. I need to decide with what to stuff the pirozhki. Any suggestions? What is your favorite?

Also, do pirozhki differ across the different regions of Russia. Is method of making them the same or does it vary? Are they baked in some regions and fried in others?

Write me, I can explain you or I can show you woman (She is Russian from Canada} who is best knowing all about yeast dough and Russian pie

Masha
Senior user
Senior user
Mother tongue: English

Postby Masha » Oct 30th, 17, 08:41

Чтение о пирошки заставляет меня голодать!

Reading about pirozhki is making me hungry!

My mum made them with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. She boiled them, then served them with melted butter. When we heated them up again for another meal, we fried them. It seems that many countries have variations on this. Ravioli and dumplings come to mind.

Моя мама сделала их с картофелъным пюре и квашеной капустой. Она отварила их, затем подала им растопленное масло. Когда мы снова разогрели их, мы пожарили их.

Sorry if there are typos.

Return to “Russian culture”