What do you add to make kasha taste good?

Traditions, cuisine, history, politics, tourism,...
Technolok
Senior user
Senior user
Mother tongue:

What do you add to make kasha taste good?

Postby Technolok » Dec 23rd, 13, 15:48

Привет!

I'm reading this article about kasha from the blog here:
http://redkalinka.com/Russian-Blog/17/_ ... -porridge/

I've tried kasha a few times, and I can't say that I particularly like it. Maybe kasha is not for me or maybe I haven't found the right recipe. What do you put when you eat kasha? Apart from kasha, obviously :) Mabye there some ingrediate that makes really yummy. Please let me know!

Спасибо!
Learning Russian is difficult, but not impossible!

Ljovanja
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue:

Re: What do you add to make kasha taste good?

Postby Ljovanja » Dec 23rd, 13, 20:07

I don't think you did something wrong. You used a basic recipe, try to add to kasha some fruits or nuts or chocolate or all together.

calzzetin
Expert user
Expert user
Mother tongue:

Postby calzzetin » Dec 24th, 13, 00:48

Ljovanja wrote:I don't think you did something wrong. You used a basic recipe, try to add to kasha some fruits or nuts or chocolate or all together.

Ljovanja is right. You can add almost anything to and it'll sure taste good. But I have to say that it took me a while to get used to its flavour.
Мороз и солнце, день чудесный!

Alexander
New user
New user
Mother tongue:

Postby Alexander » Jan 27th, 14, 13:19

Kashi are different. I don't like oatmeal, but i love buckwheat porridge. It's good with a steak or milk. No sugar, no fruits. I'd like to help you cook good kasha.
--
toekimov at gmail dot com

Sharik
New user
New user
Mother tongue:

Postby Sharik » Mar 29th, 14, 00:40

I would try various grains until you found one that you liked. Their tastes will vary a lot from one kind to the next. While living in Ukraine, I found buckwheat (гречка/grechka) to be a popular choice. It took me some time to get used to the flavor of buckwheat. Very earthy. Also, it always seemed to taste better when someone else made it. I particularly liked when mushrooms were added.

I liked oatmeal in milk. Simple, but satisfying on the cold winter mornings.

alena149
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue: Russian

Postby alena149 » Apr 3rd, 15, 18:37

to be honest, kasha is not popular because of great taste. it's very cheap and nutritious, it can be kept through the winter and it's good for a stomach. when i was a kid and my parents made me eat kasha i thought, it was disgusting. and what i didn't like was not taste, but consistence of kasha. you know, such squashy and slimy...
so for me the main rule is: make it or watery or fluffy, add some butter, imagine that it is something really delicious and just eat it.

LoveMyRussia
Expert user
Expert user
Mother tongue: Russian

Postby LoveMyRussia » Apr 10th, 15, 15:07

Hi,
here, in Russia, we say "Кашу маслом не испортишь" (You can't spoil kasha with butter). So, you can just put a good piece of butter into it.
As to buckwheat, which we see in the pictures in the post you gave reference to, it's really wonderful with milk and sugar and no less delicious with fried chopped onion+carrots+mushrooms. I also like it with chicken liver (liver fried with onion and then smothered in sour cream). You can also try it with pork/beef cutlets))
Приятного аппетита!

Return to “Russian culture”