"медведь на ухо наступил" -> meaning?

How do you say in Russian...? What does this Russian word mean? *Please, check a dictionary before posting here
Boris
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue:

"медведь на ухо наступил" -> meaning?

Postby Boris » Jul 2nd, 15, 00:23

Hi,

looking at this (IMO funny) idiom: "медведь на ухо наступил", what does it mean? I understand the primary meaning is for someone having a tin ear, e.g.

- [at concert] "did you hear how wrong that violinist played?" - "no, sorry, медведь на ухо наступил"

I guess there are other meanings... but what are they? Researching the web didn't clear it up for me, so dare I ask which of the following situations/sentences could apply to "медведь на ухо наступил"?

- [on the phone] "What was that again? I missed it, sorry, there was too much noise around me"
- "I missed that, sorry... I was distracted listening to two persons at the same time"
- [after someone makes a rude statement]: "I'll ignore that remark!"

Thanks,
Boris

LoveMyRussia
Expert user
Expert user
Mother tongue: Russian

Re: "медведь на ухо наступил" -> meaning?

Postby LoveMyRussia » Jul 3rd, 15, 13:16

hi Boris,

the phraseologism "медведь на ухо наступил" has the only meaning. the one that you mentioned - someone has a tin ear. so, in the examples you gave us, it only applies to the first one:
- [at concert] "did you hear how wrong that violinist played?" - "no, sorry, медведь на ухо наступил"

all the rest situations
- [on the phone] "What was that again? I missed it, sorry, there was too much noise around me"
- "I missed that, sorry... I was distracted listening to two persons at the same time"
- [after someone makes a rude statement]: "I'll ignore that remark!"

have nothing to do with this phraseologism ;)

Boris
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue:

Postby Boris » Jul 15th, 15, 01:03

Hi,

thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply! Too bad we can't use it in the mentioned situations :( It sounds like a fun idiom ;)

Regards,
Boris

LoveMyRussia
Expert user
Expert user
Mother tongue: Russian

Postby LoveMyRussia » Jul 15th, 15, 18:21

you are welcome))

AlexKotovoi
Junior user
Junior user
Mother tongue:

View the latest post

Postby AlexKotovoi » Aug 22nd, 15, 02:11

Thanks for a comprehensive reply. I am not glad, but at least heartened, to hear that the changes have had bigger impact on others than me.

Нид хелп, народ! У моего сайта неделю назад посещаемость сильно упала, хочу вернуть. Нашел такие услуги: ТОП 10 в Яндексе. Правда некоторые говорят, что ссылки уже не работают.

Return to “Russian vocabulary”