How to say "you are so ... that ..."

How do you say in Russian...? What does this Russian word mean? *Please, check a dictionary before posting here
Phozzonunnium
New user
New user
Mother tongue: Portuguese

How to say "you are so ... that ..."

Postby Phozzonunnium » Oct 13th, 15, 17:38

Hi
I want to know how to say phrases like "you are so *...* that *...*" in Russian, like "you are so weird that it is hard for me to believe". I thought of "Ты так странный, что мне трудно поверить", but I don't know if its grammar is correct or if it is, if it doesn't sound weird to natives. Thanks :)

Taras
Expert user
Expert user
Mother tongue:

Re: How to say "you are so ... that ..."

Postby Taras » Oct 14th, 15, 16:24

Hi Phozzonunnium,
your translation is almost correct. To be correct altogether, it should've been "Ты такой странный, что мне трудно поверить" or "Ты такая странная, что мне трудно поверить". Expressions "so + an adjective" are translated as "такой / такая / такое + прилагательное" while "so + an adverb" transforms into "так + наречие":

so good -- такой хороший / такая хорошая / такое хорошее
so well -- так хорошо.

English10000
New user
New user
Mother tongue: Russian

Re: How to say "you are so ... that ..."

Postby English10000 » Oct 21st, 15, 01:03

It's OK grammatically, but look at the phrase in terms of proper communication, not just proper grammar, I don't think it is polite to use such a phrase when talking to a person in a friendly manner. It's a kind of mild insult, IMO. It sounds a bit unusual, why should you use this phrase at all?

Return to “Russian vocabulary”